Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Greece: Day 6?

I don't even know if 6, is the right number. I've lost track, and even at the time of the trip I don't think I knew what day it was. Anyways, it was our last day in Santorini. Later that night, we were going to take the midnight ferry back to Athens (a whole other story...). We decided that we were just going to wander around Fira, since we didn't have our ATV's. Angela and I really wanted to buy some jewelry and souvenirs since Santorini is known for it. We were told that it was over-priced, but we only noticed maybe a 1 euro difference between the jewelry on Santorini and the mainland.

We went to a grocery store first and loaded up on some food, since we were starving. Yogurt, sandwiches, and oregano chips. Awesome stuff, that. We sat on a ledge in front of a Greek Orthodox church. We got there right when all the cruisers did.


Right above the door was the typical mosaic of Greek Orthodox saints and other important figures. I actually really loved the iconography in Greece. It was beautiful to me.


We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the church, and there was a very loud Greek woman reminding all of us not to, but I surreptitiously did it anyways. Hence the crooked picture.


Afterwords, we wondered around Fira looking in stores and just taking it in. Dawn had to leave to go take care of some business with her bank, so Angela and I just kept climbing the stairs. And I'm glad we did. We found the coolest alleyway. This picture is real! Not fake at all. It's crazy how the colors are.


Doorways to random places...that should be the motto for Santorini.



I really loved this courtyard, with it's random olive tree.


I'm so glad that Angela and I walked up this really steep walkway. We had the most amazing view of Fira. I really loved that moment. The wind in your hair, and the colors just so saturated. I wish I could take everyone there to that moment. It's something, everyone should experience.



From our vantage point, you could see Oia. We must have missed the memo about NOT going on the windy, rainy, crazy day.


One last view of Fira....This is when you need a wide angle lens....


And finally, the Greek grandmas. Angela and I were killing time, waiting to meet back up with Dawn, and these Greek grandmas came up to us and basically made us buy these tablecloths. They kept saying that we were rich Americans, and how we needed them. We basically got hustled, though, we did get her down from 60 Euros to 20. I still don't know how that happened. Oh well, souvenir for my Mom!


And finally, a picture of me and Angela and our Ouzo from our last dinner in Santorini. If you look closely, you can see the empty glasses, and the water bottle that is full of ouzo. Thanks anyways Greek brothers who ran that restaurant. You had really good food!


On to Meteora!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Love the pictures -- especially the illegal crooked one :)

Mrs. Dirty Hair said...

Well, I am so glad that one caption was that everyone needed to see this view...or something of the sort. I was just showing Zack your pics and telling him how surreal they were and that I MUST experience this!! This means I must discuss what we need to do and see when we go because we ARE going!!1 Keep the pics coming baby!!